Maggie went back to school today; only part-time since I'm still home with Noah and able to be with her. She enjoys school so much, and I feel learns so much more there than I seem able to teach her at home. I miss her but love to hear all about her day at school when I pick her up. Today she asked if she could have a sleep over at Cecily's house; Cecily is her friend from school that we have kept in touch with and had play dates with over the summer. So the sleepover idea is, I'm sure, something they have thought up together on the playground...I said I wasn't sure if she was "big enough" for a sleepover - probably a poor choice of words in retrospect - to which she replied, "When we get home, you can measure me on my chart, and you'll see how big I am, and then you'll believe me that I'm big enough for a sleepover" (in this tone that said, "really, MOM, are you serious?"). I fear that a sleepover too early might result in a traumatic experience (she has had very few "accidents" at night, ever, but if she does, they tend to happen in new settings, when she's overexcited and forgets to try to go before bed), or maybe she'd get lonely for me at storytime, or afraid of the dark in a new place...I fear we'd be heading over there in the middle of the night, much to the chagrin of the hosting family. And would such an experience then ruin her for future sleepover fun? How do I explain to her that this would not be a good idea, and how, as a parent, do you decide when they are ready? Off to the parenting websites I go...again.
Noah has picked up a little bug, his first in five months! He was congested really for only about a day, so I thought that was not bad...could have been much worse. Maybe my echinacea ingestion helped...who knows. His reflux has improved, I think. I seem to be washing fewer clothes and burp blankets! Hard to believe he will be five months old tomorrow! He is getting so strong, loves to play what we call "bam bam" - slapping his little chubby fist against the table, or against your hand; his little boy personality starting to show already. He loves to watch Maggie play, and often giggles at her antics. Peek-a-boo is his new favorite game. He's turned into a very efficient little feeder, and continues to gain weight at each doctor's visit. He shows interest in food at mealtimes, always reaching for whatever it is we are eating, and I'm sure he will love solid food in one short month!
He and I had a very restful first day alone together; we had a three hour nap as I tried to fight off yet another migraine headache (added this to the long list of why NOT to have any more children...). It is nice to be able to focus on just Noah for a couple of days a week...I feel so fortunate to be able to spend this time with him; not many of my US neighbours are so lucky. We were served at a restaurant the other night by a first time mom of twins born May 1 (a full month younger than Noah), and she was back to work already! I felt guilty having her serve us...I still find it hard to believe that this has been going on so long here...many babies put into daycare centers at 6 WEEKS OLD....tragic.
Will try to post some more pictures soon; have some great ones from our recent visit with friends from Canada who came here for a Wisconsin cottage getaway with us. The kids loved it; swimming at Devil's Lake State Park, minigolf, go-karts and water slides at Riverview Park, games and good food at the cottage...wonderful!
No comments:
Post a Comment