Have brought the Tater Tots on yet another road trip to Canada (Noah's third time in his short five month life so far!). This time we ventured north through Duluth to drop Mike off at the ELA, then the kids and I headed back west to Kenora to visit with the McAughey family (and Brittany!). It is nice to be here and Maggie and I have enjoyed two very refreshing dips in the Winnipeg River so far. Noah slept on shore. Maggie is quite the swimmer now and is very comfortable in the water (thanks Middleton rec!). Of course she still wore her life jacket!
The day before we left, Maggie asked, "Mom, why aren't there any Canadian flags around here?". I explained that we weren't in Canada, and so people only have American flags in the USA. But I promised her that we would get a Canadian flag to put on our house this trip, so tomorrow I'll head to Canadian Tire to see if I can get a Canadian house flag (luckily, our house is already equipped with two flag holders!). We have a smaller version that hangs over Noah's cosleeper. I still get a bit sad that Noah wasn't born in Canada, but I guess I'll have to get over that. I'd like to get his Canadian passport on our next trip; we'll be in Toronto so we'll be able to visit a passport office there, and the Canadian consulate if necessary...still have to look into all that is required for him to become Canadian!
The first stop when we cross the border is always Tim Horton's in Fort Frances; wonder if that will ever change? Saw a piece on Canada AM this morning about the top 5 "apps" used by Canadians; one is the Tim Hortons app - you can step off the plane anywhere in Canada, and use this app to find the nearest Timmy's, plus find out if they make sandwiches, have a drive-thru, and their address and phone number...plus a map of course! Too funny.
Not sure if I will ever NOT have the feeling that crossing that border is "coming home"?? Only time will tell...
No comments:
Post a Comment