Welcome to my blog!

My friend Abigail inspired me to blog; as computer-savvy as I might be, I have never ventured into this realm!
What a great way to keep friends and family who live far away closer to us...we miss you all!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Nurturing

With two minutes left to this day, I sit in my painting clothes in sheer horror; I think I've just painted my son's room prison cell blue. I really MUST stop choosing colours based on those cute little pictures of kid's rooms, already painted up and decorated by some designer. I think I've probably watched enough HGTV to be a somewhat decent designer myself; why can't I trust my colour choice instincts, and just use a little colour wheel??

The palette I chose for Noah's room was a Sherwin-Williams prefab called "Nurturing"; I suppose they nurture people in prison...hopefully Noah won't get too comfortable with this shade!!

How did this happen... How did my cute blue room turn into a prison cell?? Well, first off, I think I was trying to overcompensate for the fact that I didn't have his room ready for him when he was born (not wanting another gender neutral room, as we had for Maggie, since we had no idea of the sex of either of our children before they were born). So when Noah was born a boy, I thought, I'm going to have one of those cute blue boy rooms in my house - for him! Warped, I know...I like brown, green too, anything else would have been fine. Secondly, my husband, although perfect in almost every way, has a bizarre colour blindness that would have our house painted in some hideous puce colour if he were consulted...

Of course, Maggie also wants a blue room - I've chosen a shade of lighter, pale blue for her room to go with a painting that my cousin made; daisies and prairie sky. Let's hope it's to her liking! Mike is mortified at having to paint her room AGAIN; she has always wanted a blue room - unfortunately she picked the colour online when Mike was here already and trying to paint bedrooms before we arrived from Canada - lesson learned. Colours on your laptop do not look as they do in true light.

I'll post pics in a few days of the prison cell so if anyone sees it, maybe you can let me know if I'm overreacting (which I'm prone to do!). It's also very late, so I might just be delirious.

No comments:

Post a Comment